Friday, March 23, 2012

Is there enough time for a short ride? Where there is a will there is a way.

Sometimes you just have to make yourself go and use a little creativity to work in a ride. I almost never get away from work in the evening early enough to get any kind of ride in after work. Yesterday I was determined to ride outside. Sure enough by the time I got home the sun was already beginning to set. Riding a mountain bike with lights is always one option, but with all the rain we have had I knew the trails would be way to muddy. One of my old stand by rides is to just do laps around the city block that I live on. There isn't any through traffic in my neighborhood, so cars coming out of driveways and pedestrians are the only two things I have to look out for. On the "back stretch" there is a steady long uphill drag. Using a power meter enables me to get in some measured intensity on this portion of the lap. By working hard on this section I can build a little strength. Boredom while I'm riding isn't a problem since I am concentrating on either pedaling hard or recovering from my last hard effort. I also do these laps around the block when it is definitely going to rain. If it starts to rain I can just turn off at my house and ride into the garage. A couple of times a year I end up doing these laps around the block. There is no question in my mind that it looks crazy to the neighbors, but they are used to it after more than a couple of decades of seeing me ride my bike. Where there is a will there is a way!

No comments:

Post a Comment