Saturday, August 24, 2013

When one door closes another one opens!

Click on the photos to enlarge them.
The group rolling down the road on a beautiful day.

I've heard the saying "when one door closes, another opens." Never really thought much about it. That's sort of how this vacation day of bicycle riding was.

There are a couple of things that are frustrating when you work on every single Saturday. One of them is that you can't participate in almost any cycling events. The other is that many of your cycling friends' main day to ride is Saturday. So, some folks you just don't get the opportunity to ride with.

Today is the first Saturday I have not had to work in many years, and may be the last for years to come. I had plans to ride this morning with a cycling buddy that I never get the chance to ride with anymore. I was getting my water bottles ready and checking out my bike when I got the word that they were bailing on the ride. I was disappointed and sadden by the change of plans. Do to conflicting schedules, I don't know when or if I will get to ride with this cycling friend again.

I poured another cup of coffee and tried to come up with a different destination to ride to. After while I just got on my bike and headed out. Without any real plans I ended up riding through Lewisville. As I turned on a road, headed out of Lewisville, I saw a group of cyclist mulling about at the intersection ahead. I thought maybe it was an accident. When I got there, a couple of riders were working on repairing a flat tire. Once the group got underway I joined in their ride.

I knew all the riders in the group and they were all long time cycling friends. We rode a nice route mapped out by Ken Craven. It was on great roads and a distance of about 57 miles. We had a nice little break at Gunter's Country Store about half way through the ride.

So the door that opened, when the other one closed, turned out to be good thing. I enjoyed a nice ride on a beautiful day and got to see a whole bunch of friends that I don't get to ride with. I can't remember all of the friends, but in the group were Kelly Holmes, Barry Woosley, Lynn Berry, Michael Berry, Tom McGuire, Jim Martin, Chad Chadwick, Scott Morris, Clarence, Darrel Ellis, Susan Hege Edwards, Ryke Edwards, Ronnie, Joe Hutchins, Shea and I hope I haven't left anyone out.

Riding to and from the ride put my total for the day at just over 70 miles and my total miles for the last 6 days at over 500 miles.

Later on in the day I went for a "cruise" ride to Starbucks for a cup of coffee. It was a perfect evening to relax outside and drink a good cup of coffee. Another vacation day well spent!

Below is a link to the ride on Connect.Garmin. Nice Route!


Pulling away from a stop sign.
Me at the rest stop.
The group taking a break at Gunter's Country Store.
Me with my "cruiser" at Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment