Friday, August 23, 2013

Gunnar Roadie - Rockford General Store

Click on the photos to enlarge them
The Rockford General Store
For over twenty years the Rockford General Store has been one of my favorite cycling destinations. I couldn't think of a better way to spend one of my vacation days than riding to it today. It's like going to another time. Old fashion candies, soft drinks in glass bottles, a grill and a shady front porch to sit on and take a break.

20+ years ago there were many teenagers that rode road racing bikes. Often times in the summer, when they were out of school, several of them them would join me in all day rides. One of our places to take a break was the porch of The Rockford General Store. I'm sure those are the exact same benches that we used to sit on. It's hard for me to believe that those teenagers are now all grown and many of them have school age children. It reminded me of those teenage riders, when I was sitting there on the benches in the shade of the covered porch. Their parents never seemed to worry about them gone for all day rides with no real destination in mind.

The store hasn't changed and neither have the ice cold 6oz. Coca-Colas in glass bottles.

I consider this another vacation day well spent! Take a trip back in time and ride to The Rockford General Store, if you get a chance.
Me in front of the Rockford General Store with my Gunnar Roadie

My Gunnar Roadie on the front porch of The Rockford General Store

A cigar store Indian on the front porch of The Rockford General Store.

Below is a link to my ride on Connect.Garmin.


Click here to learn more about Gunnar Cycles.
Click here to learn more about The Rockford General Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment