Saturday, November 10, 2012

Gunnar Roadie - NiteRider

Click on the photo to enlarge it
Gunnar Roadie
It's getting dark early now. With reduced hours of daylight it becomes challenging to sneak a ride into the busy work schedule. But, where there's a will there's a way. Riding at night is easier than it was in previous seasons due to the many options now available for bicycle lights. 


Bicycle lighting technology has made huge leaps in the past two years. Lights have become brighter, lighter, less expensive and have much longer lasting batteries. Both the tail light and headlight on the Gunnar Roadie are made by NiteRider.  These are rechargeable lights. This illuminates the concerns of battery life and is better for the environment. 

The headlight is last year's model and has a brightness rating of 600 lumens. The rear light is a new model, a Solas, from NiteRider that is rated at two watts. Both are rechargeable by a USB cord. Click here for more information on NiteRider lights.

Riding at night on the road presents other problems besides being able to see and being seen. Finding a place that is safe is always an issue. Last night I rode in an industrial park. My route was a two mile loop around the park on smoothly paved roads. Not much is going on at night in the industrial park and I only saw one car while riding. There is a section where I know to be on the look out for deer. I did see three deer last night. They were standing around under a tree on the side of the road and were not startled by me at all. I simply ride very slow on this section of my route. I also saw a skunk on the side of the road. I was able to get in a little over an hour of riding. Even though there were a few hurdles to overcome, it was nice to ride outside instead of being stuck on a trainer or rollers. 

There was a popular prime time television series named Knight Rider that was on from 1982 through 1986. Below is a documentary on Knight Rider.

No comments:

Post a Comment