Friday, February 15, 2013

Gunnar Roadie - Moonlight Mile

Gunnar Roadie - ready for a moonlight ride
 It takes some ingenuity to work a bicycle ride into your day, when the daylight hours are shorter than your work schedule. It can be done, if you have bright lights for the front and rear of your bicycle. Piling on some extra cloths will get you through the cooler temperatures that you have to deal with after the sun sets.

Finding a safe place to ride after sunset is the hardest part of night riding. Fortunately, there is an industrial park close to my house. After 6:00 PM there is almost no traffic on the roads inside the park. The pavement is good and there are lots of street lights. 

I can get in about an hour of riding, before I get too bored, on the roads in the industrial park. There is a loop that circles the outer edge of the area that is about two miles in length  An hour is about as long as I want to ride a loop that short. 

The temperatures were mild in Winston-Salem today, and it stayed above 50 degrees for my whole ride. The forecast for the weekend is for much colder and wet conditions. I enjoyed getting outside for a bike ride and not being stuck on a trainer. 

It's less than a month till daylight saving hours take effect. Until then, I'll keep on going with my moonlight rides.
Niterider rechargeable rear light
A bright light on the front of my Gunnar Roadie

In the video below The Rolling Stones preform "Moonlight Mile" in Toronto, Canada in the year 1999. They orginally recorded this song in 1967.

The Rolling Stones - Moonlight Mile

No comments:

Post a Comment