Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Shattered Peloton by Graham Healy, book review

The Shattered Peloton
by Graham Healy
  • Paperback: 240 pages
  • Published by: Breakaway Books (May 27, 2014)
  • http://www.breakawaybooks.com
  • Language: English
  • Book Dimensions: 8.9 x 5.9 x 0.7 inches

The Shattered Peloton is the history of solders in World War I that had previously competed in the Tour de France. Thirty two veterans of the Tour de France fought in the war. Three solders, who had won the tour before the war began, died while fighting. 

This book starts out by recounting the 1914 Tour de France.  World War I began two days after the finish of the 1914 tour. 


Henri Desgrange, the founder and organizer of the Tour de France, wrote an editorial in red ink in l'Auto calling French men to enlist. Desgrange himself enlisted and served some time at the front, at the age of 50! Many bike racers were of the age and health to serve their country. This may be why such a large number of participants in the tour were involved in World War I. 


This is an interesting read for anyone who enjoys cycling or World War I history. This is a war that there isn't much discussion of. I have a personal interest in World War I since my father's father, Dr. CS Lawrence, was in charge of a medical unit during this war.


 Be warned before reading this book; the accounts of any war are gruesome. 


Octave Lapize, Tour de France winner, died during World War I.
Click here to learn more about Octave Lapize.
Lucien Petit-Breton, Tour de France winner, died during World War I.
Click here to learn more about Lucien Petit-Breton.

Francois Faber, Tour de France winner, died during World War I.

Click here to learn more about Francois Faber.






No comments:

Post a Comment